Known for its vast array of extreme sports and activities, the Mother City keeps even the most adventure-seeking tourist pumping with adrenaline. The unique landscape of this southern tip of Africa makes seeking outdoor adventure not only easy, but incredibly worthwhile.
No matter the size of your appetite for risk Cape Town has you covered! We’ve put together a list of must-try adventures in Cape Town:
1. Get up close and personal with Great White Sharks: There are a number of shark-cage dive operators in the region, and most cage dives can be completed without a scuba license. A shark cage diving outing typically lasts a full day, starting early in the morning and ending late in the afternoon. The best dives, however, require a drive outside of the city, with the best-known spot being the small town of Gansbaai on the east coastline. An option closer to the city is Seal Island on the False Bay coast, which is also a great location, accessed via Hout Bay harbour.
2. Explore the sea bed in search of sunken ships and mysterious caves: Cape Town is home to many world-class dive sites, such as Llandudno’s SS Maori shipwreck, with major boat launch points to be found at Miller’s Point, Hout Bay harbour and OPBC in Granger Bay. For those seeking a diving qualification, there are many PADI (Professional Association of Diving Instructors) schools in the city. There are also dive shops and operators for qualified divers who want to join an organised dive encounter.
3. Abseiling off the New 7 th Wonder of Nature: Table Mountain is an explorer’s dream-come-true – and what better way to explore the famous mountain than by abseiling down from one of its many peaks! Depending on the location, weather and any personal preferences, this is an activity that can be enjoyed any time of year provided it is not raining.
4. Kloofing across the city’s many gorgers and ravines: If the idea of navigating down a river gorge like a true explorer sounds like fun, kloofing is sure to be a memorable adventure. This activity includes hiking, boulder hopping, wading, swimming, climbing, sliding and jumping off cliffs as you make your way down a river. For safety purposes, it’s best to join an experienced kloofing group when exploring new areas.
5. Get a bird’s eye view with a paragliding experience: “Tranquil but exhilarating” is one way to describe paragliding. Using a specially adapted parachute and harness, you will essentially soar like an eagle after taking a gentle jump from the top of a mountain or cliff. Tandem and solo paragliding trips can be arranged in and around Cape Town.
6. Take water sports to a new level with kitesurfing: Forget old-fashioned windsurfing, kitesurfing combines wakeboarding with kite flying and allows you to surf Cape Town’s waves like never before.
7. Off-road quad biking trails: This is an activity that can be enjoyed by most members of the family – suitable for most ages and fitness levels, depending on the track and terrain. Using heavy duty quad bikes (also known as All-Terrain Vehicles or ATV), head off road to explore the terrain from a different viewpoint.
8. Climb and hang off a rock cliff: Not surprising in an area known for its mountainous terrain, rock climbing is a popular sport in Cape Town. In addition to a wide range of mountains, hills and rocks to explore, there is also a great indoor climbing gym in Observatory called City Rock, which caters to climbers of all experience-levels.
9. Exhilarating race car driving course: For a real adrenaline-pumping activity, consider the idea of racing like a professional in a top-end race car at Cape Town’s Killarney Race track. There are a number of high-end race cars to choose from, with group or individual packages available. All races are organised through Fantastic Racing who take care of all gear, cars, training and safety guidance.
10. The ultimate rush – jumping out a plane: Cape Town is littered with beautiful locations that are ideal for skydiving. Tandem and solo jumps can be arranged for jumpers of all experience-levels through a number of operators, many requiring a short drive just outside of the city.
Whichever activity you end up choosing, there is no doubt that extreme sporting in Cape Town is a sure-fire way to add more fun to your life! Remember – one of the safest, simplest ways to plan your adventure sports in Cape Town is to use an established operator who has ample experience in the activity of interest. For guidance on which companies to approach, ask our 24-hour concierge desk.
Planning a holiday to Cape Town? Pepperclub Hotel & Spa offers the ideal base to begin your adventures, with all the comforts you need for a memorable trip. For more inspiration and ideas, you can also check out our guide to unusual things to do in Cape Town!